Thursday, January 31, 2008

Phoning It In

I've been experimenting lately with a short Web poll down the right-side margin of this page. The topic will change every month or so, so please feel free to take it whenever you drop by.
This month's poll asked, "What tool do you most depend on for staying in touch?" The results surprised me.
Out of 77 people who reponded, 66 (that's 86%) chose their cellphone. By contrast, the BlackBerry got just 6 votes, and laptop computers got just two.

Obviously, the findings of this poll are not statistically significant. But the trend is so overwhelming, it's fascinating.

Of course I knew that cell phones are essential to today's mobile business people - I consider it one of the key drivers of the "entrepreneurial revolution" of the 1980s/90s. But I had assumed that the BlackBerry and/or laptop were new enabling new and perhaps deeper, more value-added day-to-day communications opportunities than the mobile phone. But I seem to have been wrong.

I guess that's why Ted Rogers is a zillionaire, and I'm still blogging.

If you haven't responded to the survey yet, please do. I will leave it up for a few more days before changing the topic. If you have an opinion on this topic, you can also leave a comment below.

1 comment:

Promod said...

It looks like folks love talking. I voted email (Blackberry) which leaves a trail for future reference.