Friday, September 25, 2009

Turning browsers into buyers

My column this week in the National Post looks at what you can do to turn browsers into buyers.

It was actually inspired by my experience in Jamaica during a brief business trip last week, when I stopped into a den of ramshackle souvenir shops. One owner in particular was an excellent saleswoman: she wouldn't let me leave until I promised to come back the next day.

Her sales savvy made me wonder how many Canadian business owners excel at converting tirekickers into actual revenue-generating customers – and how many let prospects slip through their fingers due to simply not trying.

Excerpt: "Therein lies the secret of winning over reluctant customers: you need to create a dialogue. Not in a "what-can-I-do-to-sell-you-this-car-today?" way, but a genuine conversation aimed at solving the prospect's problems rather than filling your weekly quota."

Read the rest of the story here.

No comments: