A good way to end the year.
Back in 2002, PROFIT magazine held its then-annual GrowthCamp to honor the 50 companies on our annual list of Canada's Hottest Startups. (Yes, we were ahead of our time.)
The top-ranked company was Toronto-based Webhelp, a developer of innovative customer support technology and offshore business process outsourcing (BPO) solutions. Founder Kerry Adler attended part of our conference, but couldn't stay for our awards ceremony, so he asked devised the following list of "12 Rules for Success" and asked that they be read to the assembled group of growth entrepreneurs in lieu of him making a speech.
Kerry has since gone on to lead and innovate in environmental technologies, and is now the founder and CEO of SkyPower Global.
And his list is still worth heeding.
1. Success is failure turned inside out.
2. There is no success without controversy.
3. Never, ever burn a bridge.
4. You’re only as good as the people who believe in you.
5. Never ask an employee to do something you are not prepared to do.
6. Always follow your gut.
7. Never give up hope.
8. Be proud of your accomplishments.
9. Always strive to better yourself.
10 Understand your strengths.
11. Acknowledge your weaknesses.12. Take time to smell the roses, and remember that family time is so precious.
Happy New Year to all!