Monday, August 21, 2006

Trust, but verify

I was asked today by email to provide some "startup hints" to a complete stranger.

This is what I replied:

"I hope your new business is doing well. If I could offer you any advice it would be to enjoy what you do, delegate as much as you can, and don't trust anyone. (Get everything in writing. Have clients sign contracts. Collect deposits where possible.)

"You'll meet many wonderful people in business. Unfortunately, you have to protect yourself from the others, because they're out there too."

So what do you think of my answer?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've noticed that many of the successful entrepreneurs I've met while promoting CCC and EDC have a better than average understanding of human nature. This not only helps them motivate staff and develop satisfied customers but it leads them to the same conclusion you have expressed, namely to protect themselves against the unscrupulous.

Ian Brown