Friday, October 19, 2007

My Mission

I'm working on my next "Growth Curve" column for the new Small Business section every Monday in the Financial Post. It's a great opportunity for me to write about issues, challenges and heroes of Canadian entrepreneurship.

But because my mandate is pretty broad, I have a million ideas for what I want to do. And that of course is a perilous situation for any entrepreneur.

I decided I needed to narrow down what I'll be writing about - establish a set of criteria that will help me recognize which ideas really work for this column and its readers, and which are probably just self-indulgent space-fillers.

So I created the following list of objectives for myself. And once it was done, in the spirit of accountability, I thought I would share it with you.

My "Growth Curve" Mission

* To tell great stories
* To offer practical, useful information to help business owners grow their businesses
* To encourage business owners to persevere and overcome their many challenges and problems by demonstrating “how others do it”
* To open readers’ eyes to the myriads of opportunities in business, in Canada and the world
* To stimulate entrepreneurial spirit and confidence in Canada

Still pretty broad, I know. But it's also a pretty good mission statement for everything I'm trying to do.

No comments: