Thursday, July 09, 2009

The Epic Struggle of Jack Poole

Between now and the end of February, you'll hear a lot about Jack Poole, the chairman of VANOC, the organizing committee of the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver.

But before heading up one of the best-organized Games committees ever, Poole was a classic Canadian entrepreneur: a hard-working Saskatchewan boy who made and lost a fortune in Western real estate through Daon Development (remember them?). He has since emerged as one of BC’s top entrepreneurs and philanthropists, and a survivor of pancreatic cancer.

Poole’s story is told in an inspiring article by Gary Mason in BC Business (“Never Say Quit”). You can read it online by clicking here.

To whet your appetite, here are a few of Poole’s quotes from the story:

“It was a real lesson for me. Never keep secrets from your banker.”

“I don’t have any money, but I’ll sign over everything I’ve got.”

“We were extremely successful but had not factored into our plans the recession of 1982 and interest rates of 23 per cent.”

“I came from nothing. And I can go back to that. I can. But if you want me to stay and work this thing through, I will. If you don’t, I’m happy to leave. But don’t threaten me.’”

“My personal wealth went from a paper worth of $100 million to a negative worth of $5 million.”

“I’d never go that route again.”

“One of the things God gave me was the ability to recognize talent, and it’s been one of my great strengths. Anything I’ve achieved is because of the people I’ve hired to do it."

“Every time you win something, it has to hurt a bit, doesn’t it?”

Yes, it's a business profile that reads like a movie. Read the story here right now.

No comments: