In times like this, you need to count your pennies.
Here's a timely article from About.com's useful Small Business Canada site, on 10 ways to cut gasoline costs. It's not exactly groundbreaking, but it offers some good ideas for individual motorists as well as for business owners managing fleets.
Here's the gist:
* Ensure that all vehicles are properly maintained.
* Consolidate trips.
* Train your drivers not to idle their engines.
* Use block heaters on cold winter days.
* Have more clients come to you, rather than you going to them.
* Trade in your vehicle(s) for vehicles with better fuel economy. (Example: could you get by with mini-vans instead of trucks?)
* Search out discounts on bulk fuel purchases (they may be available from your local chamber of commerce).
Check out all 10 tips here.
And while we're counting our pennies, here's a similar story from About.Com on saving money on business insurance. Go for it! Because cash is king.