Thursday, October 20, 2005

Maybe I’m dumber than a sack of hammers...

... but today was the first time I used that Bell Canada service where, when the line I call is busy, they offer to monitor the line and let me know when it is free. Whether it is the 95-cent charge or the frightening Big Brotherness of it, I had never tried this service before.

Well, it really works! When my target hung up, my phone rang. I picked up the phone and it immediately dialed his number. Five seconds later, we are talking. We exchange the info we need to exchange before he had to hang up to join a conference call that was just about to start.

So this service enabled me to jump into the tiniest of 15-second windows between when my target hung up on one call and when he dialed the next.

O Brave New World! Are there any other similarly valuable services I’ve been missing?

(Of course, if the guy just got voice mail, I wouldn’t have had that problem at all…)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rick,
Try skype if you haven't done so already.

I use it daily for calls and IM.

I'm sure you've used something like Vonage... voice mail delivered to email is a great concept. Mind you. I never had it setup, but my friends have it.

Try JotSpot, BaseCamp, and other Wiki's. Great web based personal and project managment tools.

Try Del.icio.us for bookmarking if you're stick of losing your book marks.

That's all i can suggest right off the top of my head.