Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Fighting Back from a Heart Attack

David Crow is a trouble-maker. Well, that's how he defines himself on his website.

He's actually more of an instigator, a fast-talking, easy-going catalyst who is helping bring focus and community to Toronto's flegling Web 2.0 community.

And last month he suffered a heart attack.

It was totally unexpeted and scary, he wrote in his blog on June 5. "I’m only 32, I don’t use cocaine, I don’t have a strong family history of heart disease, I don’t smoke, I don’t use intravenous drugs, I eat pretty well, and I try to exercise."

It can happen to anyone. Please read his post to see what his warning signs were, and what happened next. It's riveting reading.

You'll even see an innovative use of YouTube video.

David is now mainly resting, with another month or so of recovery time expected. I wish him all the best for a speedy return to healthy instigating.

One of the first features I ever commissioned at PROFIT Magazine was a story about entrepreneurs and heart disease. The typical entrepreneurial lifestyle - long hours, constant pressure, endless rushing around, poor eating and sleeping habits, the never-ending stress of meeting payroll and finding the next customer - is the perfect breeding ground for a heart attack.

Slow down. Manage your stress. Eat better. Stay well.

No comments: