Friday, May 19, 2006

The Music of Your (Business) Life

For reasons that will become clear later on, I am looking for examples of songs that express any part of the emotional range of being in business.

Are there songs you identify with because they remind you of emotions or experiences you regularly encounter in your business life?

If so, I would love to hear about them. Put the name of the song, plus the name of the artist/band if you know it, in a comment below, so everyone can share, or e-mail me at rick (at) rickspence.ca
Feel free to name as many songs as you wish.

By business, I mainly mean the experience of entrepreneurship and small business. I'm not so much looking for the depressingly soul-destroying experience of working in big business. (Song going thru my head right now: Dolly Parton's Nine to Five.)

So basically I am looking for songs that express the feeling of business/entrepreneurship/small business as a creative act, if that makes sense to you. An enobling act of visualization, courage, empowerment, success, loss, self-actualization and growth.

Still, if you have a favorite song about big bad big business, send it along anyway. It couldn't hurt. And please, do it now, while you're thinking about it. (I have never been back to most of the sites I bookmark.)

Thanks for your help. I'll share the full list (minus sendees' names) with you in a couple of weeks.

----
Not what we’re looking for:
** Working nine to five, what a way to make living--
Barely getting by, it's all taking and no giving.
They just use your mind and they never give you credit
It's enough to drive you crazy if you let it.
That’s not business. That’s a job.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rick, I like this thread. For me, 2 songs resonate.

1 - One More Astronaut, I Mother Earth

"One more astronaut in black skin
Of universe
One more travellin' man
With heavy tired eyes, feeling cold"

I find it really invigorating and steeling.

2 - Bring it on Home, Led Zepplin

The combination of the baseline and the chorus could inspire me to do just about anything. This is also the song I love to listen to and sing in my head before running a triathlon.