Wednesday, March 14, 2007

No-Meeting Day

I'm not one to bash meetings - I think they're essential to gathering opinion, communicating values and and aligning efforts and expectations. But there's no doubt that many companies overdo meetings or mismanage them utterly.

So I loved this week's productivity tip from Canadian time-management expert Harold Taylor:

Relief From Meetings: Have a company-wide NO MEETINGS day so people will know that they can count on at least one free day to concentrate on their projects.

Taylor doesn't specify, but I presume that No Meetings Day is supposed to be held once a week. If that's not what he means, I still think it's a good idea.

For more time tips, or to sign up for Taylor's weekly email tipsheet, click here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rick,
At my company, we have a "No Meeting Mondays" policy.

I've found that most people will start off the week with a bang, working on the things that are most important to them. They usually think about what they want to get done during the course of the weekend.

By encouraging our managers to avoid Monday meetings, we leave as much time free for productive work on the crucial first day of the week.

Of course, "No Meeting Mondays" are a complement to "No Bad News Fridays."